Tandoori chicken naan pizza pairs well here with BBQ sauce, mozzarella, and smoked gouda garnished with pickled onions! BBQ and tandoori chicken are a match made in heaven. This recipe is especially great if you have leftover tandoori chicken (rarely happens, but just in case).
- I used my homemade tamarind BBQ sauce that pairs perfectly with the smokiness and bold flavors of the tandoori chicken, however a store bought version will still be good!
- I prefer a smoked gouda to bring out that smokiness of the tandoori balanced with the classic mozzarella. Use goat cheese, sharp cheddar, white cheddar, gruyere—really can’t go wrong here–matter of preference/taste.
- Add pineapple for a little sweetness.
- Sprinkle a little tandoori twist when it comes out of the oven for extra oomph!
- Naturally pickled onions add a vibrant and a pungent flavor that brings it all together! See below for my quick pickled onion recipe!
Tandoori Chicken Naan Pizza
- 2 naan breads standard size
- 4 tbsp homemade tamarind BBQ sauce, divided or store-bought
- 1/2 cup tandoori chicken, cut in cubes or shredded
- 4 tbsp smoked Gouda, divided
- 4 tbsp mozzarella, shredded, divided
- pickled onions (see recipe below) for garnishing
- tandoori twist for sprinkling
- lime juice, squeeze optional
Quick Pickled Onions
- 2 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, honey, or sugar
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt
- 4 tsp whole spices such as: coriander seeds, celery, cumin, whole peppercorns, fennel, caraway, allspice
- 1 bay leave
- Pre-heat oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Brush the BBQ sauce evenly on the naan bread followed by tandoori chicken layered with Gouda and mozzarella cheeses finished with pickled onions with a sprinkle of garam masala or cumin.
- Bake for 8 minutes on pizza stone or baking sheet. Sprinkle cilantro and add a fresh squeeze of lime. Cut into 4 slices and enjoy!
Quick Pickled Onions
- Remove from the stove and let cool for at least 30 minutes prior to using. Place onions and liquid in a clean jar and store in the fridge if not using right away. This will last 2-3 weeks in the fridge.
- Add in pineapple for added sweetness and flavor
- Use store-bought BBQ sauce
Wine/Beer Pairing Recommendations
I recommend something light and fruit forward like a rose (earthwind) or a Pinot Noir.