These healthy peanut butter oatmeal cookies are gluten-free and guilt-free! We are all at home these days snacking and indulging more than we usually do whether it’s stress-related or just out of pure boredom. Whatever the case this is the perfect solution without all the carbs and sugar and made in one bowl!
I followed the beaming baker’s recipe as a guide. She makes them vegan and I made them vegetarian as I used eggs—your choice!
The recipe is mashed bananas, maple syrup, eggs, vanilla, peanut butter (our homemade recipe), coconut oil mixed with oats (acts as the flour substitute), cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda! Easy!
You can fold in dark chocolate, nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds), dried fruit (cranberries or raisins), coconut.
Bake time can vary depending on how big you make them—I’d say closer to 12-20 minutes. I apparently made mine larger therefore required increased time!
Savory Tips & Tricks
- Use flaxseed and water for vegan substitute.
- Add in chia, flaxseeds, or even hemp seeds for increased fiber/protein.
- Make an ice cream sandwich with frozen yogurt, dairy-free ice cream, or regular ice cream and freeze for a tasty treat–Healthiesh 🙂
- Crumble it up and use in my yogurt power bowl!
- These are chewy in texture and you can make them smaller and thinner for a crispier/brownish color.
Have you ever thought about making your own peanut butter?!?!?!?! It’s ridiculously easy—-click here for your tutorial!
Healthy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- One Flax Egg: Whisk 1 tbsp. ground flax + 3 tbsp. of water and let sit 15 mins. (double for this recipe)
- Use vegan chocolate to make it truly vegan
- 2 bananas, very ripe
- 1/2 cup homemade peanut butter or store bought
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 eggs or flax eggs (see notes)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 2 cups oats use gluten-free
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts use almonds, pecans, pistachios, hazlenuts
- 1/2 dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl mash bananas till smooth as possible. Add-in rest of wet ingredients and mix until well incorporated. Add the dry ingredients and fold over with spatula until well mixed. Fold in the optional toppings of choice at this point.
- Using a tablespoon scoop onto cookie sheet and press down with fork. Don't worry these don't spread much.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool for 10-15 minutes on cooling rack until firm. Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea!