In Michigan and all across the midwest you will find countless recipes calling for cream of mushroom soup! I loved it growing up and some of my favorite casseroles use it–green bean casserole and of course my mom’s famous pizza casserole. However, I have shied away from canned goods for many years in exchange for fresh ingredients/healthier diet.
Since I recently started this website I wanted to share some of the recipes I grew up with, which means giving them a savory makeover! Making your own homemade cream of mushroom soup is more time consuming than opening a can, however it takes 10-15 minutes maximum and is so much more flavorful!
I have tested out two different methods/recipes to see which yields the best results (your welcome)!
Method 1: Sauteed the mushrooms in butter first then added in stock/flour mixture.
Method 2: Boiled the stock first then added in flour mixture and finished by stirring in the mushrooms.
The Winner is……..Method 2! You can see in the photos in method 2 on the right resembles more of its canned counterparts and it tasted better due to having a bit more of the seasonings plus no butter, therefore it’s also healthier! Adapted from Give Me Some Oven.
- Pour stock in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Whisk the flour and milk mixture and add to the stock.
- Add chopped mushrooms/spices and simmer for 3 minutes.
How long does it last?
Why would you randomly make canned cream of mushroom soup if you didn’t need it for a recipe? Just in case you’d like to have some on hand because it is delicious and can be used in so many ways the answer is up to 1 week.
Savory’s Tips and Tricks
- Add equal parts liquid to turn into a delicious soup.
- Any kind of mushroom will work here. I just happen to have portabellas on hand, which I find more flavorful than white button kind—more earthy.
Savory’s Pairing Recommendations
Add some to your mash potatoes or cauliflower mash potatoes, to any casserole, throw in crockpot/instant pot with meatballs, bake with chicken.
Please do yourself a favor and make my Mom’s Upgraded Pizza Casserole for some serious comfort!
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/3 cup vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 2/3 cup milk I used almond milk
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup portabella mushrooms, finely chopped any variety will work
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Add stock to large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the milk and flour together until smooth.
- Slowly add to the stock, whisking to combine. Add mushrooms and seasonings. Reduce heat to medium low and bring mixture to a low simmer stirring constantly so bottom doesn't burn. Boil for 3 minutes or until thickened to desired consistency.
- Use immediately in recipe. It equals to exactly 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup or store in airtight container for up to 1 week!
- Add in equal parts of liquid to make a soup.
- Add to mashed potatoes or cauliflower.
- Use it to make green bean casserole.
- Use it for my Mom’s Updated Pizza Casserole!