What does a parent do when a child falls sick in India? Boils milk and turmeric that may or may not include ginger, pepper, honey, and/or cinnamon. What does one do when they get COVID-19 make golden milk! Turmeric is the star of the show and has been part of the 5,000-year-old ayurvedic medicine practice.
Turmeric comes from the root of Curcuma longa, a flowering plant of the ginger family.
- Curcumin: compound = main active ingredient in turmeric.
- Strong anti-inflammatory and high in antioxidants.
- However curcumin in turmeric is low in percentage, therefore you’d want to take it in a supplement to reap the full health benefits (but every bit helps in my humble opinion).
- Furthermore, curcumin is poorly absorbed into the bloodstream on its own.
So what is the benefit of drinking golden milk?
Glad you asked. The good news is that curcumin is a fat-soluble therefore when added to fat like coconut milk or coconut oil the absorption rate increases! In addition, black pepper is also known to amp up its effectiveness! Plus look at all the other benefits of the ingredients:
- Cinnamon: controls blood sugar, wards off dementia, lowers bad cholesterol, anti-carcinogenic
- Ginger: aids in digestion, decreases aches/pains/nausea, improves heart disease
- Pepper: fights infections, aids in digestion, detoxifies the body, treats coughs/colds
- Honey: Antibacterial properties, soothes a sore throat, aids in digestion
- Coconut oil: controversial evidence of its health benefits but I use it as fat to increase absorption rate; plus it tastes good!
All of these combined equal immune booster superpowers that we especially now need in these times of coronavirus! Don’t wait until it’s too late like us. Whip up a batch of golden milk and arm your immune system—COVID-19 won’t stand a chance for battle! The recipe is adapted from Epicurious.
Savory’s Tips & Tricks
- I used all fresh ingredients, but if you using ginger/turmeric root no need to peel and I keep them on hand in the freezer!
- You can use ginger/turmeric powder and ground black pepper (measurements in the recipe.
- I used almond milk, but any kind will work.
Nothing pleases me more than hearing from you, please leave your comments below! Did you make this recipe? Amazing! Snap a photo and tag me——I’d love to see it!
- 2 cups milk can use any kind: almond, soy, oat, etc.
- 2 cups water
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick or 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 (1-inch) turmeric root, unpeeled, thinly sliced or 1 1/2 tsp. of ground tumeric
- 1 (1/2-inch) ginger root, unpeeled, thinly sliced or 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tbsp. honey use maple syrup or agave as sweetener
- 1 tbsp. virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- Whisk coconut milk, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, honey, coconut oil, peppercorns, and 1 cup water in a small saucepan; bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until flavors have melded, about 10 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into mugs and top with a dash of cinnamon.
- I prefer to use fresh ingredients but if using ground spices they’ll settle to the bottom so make sure to stir before serving
- Store up to 2-3 days in an airtight jar
- Can serve over ice as a latte but when your sick you want it warm
7 replies on “Immune Booster Golden Milk”
This recipe is absolutely amazing! I enjoy it with my morning oatmeal. I can’t wait to try more recipes from My Savory Adventures
I was feeling under the weather from congestion and decided to give this Golden Milk a try. It was easy to make . Golden milk tastes like chai. The flavors of cinnamon , ginger came through with a slight punch of heat from the peppercorns.
The Golden milk has helped clear my congestion. Sipping it feels like getting a big hug of comfort . Cheers to health . Thank you my savoryadventures.
So happy it helped! Golden milk is the best kind of medicine I’ve ever tasted!
Can I dip cookies in this? If so, what do you suggest?
I was feeling a little tickle in my throat last night and I remembered this recipe from my favorite new cooking blog! I had all of the ingredients on hand and it only took a few minutes to throw together. This golden milk was soothing, comforting and absolutely delicious!!!! Before I was even half way done with my cup my throat felt better! Added bonus was that I slept like a baby! This was also the best tasting natural remedy I’ve ever had! I can’t wait to dive into more recipes from My Savory Adventures!!!
So happy it helped! Thank you for following us!